Would you take a 20-min ice cold shower?

Sunday, January 29, 2012

May I?

09:25 a.m. Sunday January 29/2012

Today is Marissa's baptism. I couldn't do the twisties she lives so much, so at Dom's suggestion, I've done the New Year hair do. With the addition of the China flower that is bigger than my head.

In the Metro just now, an older black woman approached me and asked, "May I see how the back is up?" She was so lovely, beautiful dark skin and burgundy lipstick like my Big Mommy. She oo'd and ahh'd and I told her about the upside down twists and braids and the combs and pins that hold the Napptural half-fro front part in place.

She said, "I like that. It's like the 40s and natural and beautiful."

I nodded and smiled, pleased I had impressed such a beautiful woman.

I had wanted to add, "My Gma has an aversion to my hairstyles," then decided to shut it. No need wasting a great moment with my sarcastic cynicism.

I often wonder if the black men appreciate my hairstyles. Do the white men? Many times I think white men are awed by my hair, the never ending variations, curls, fluff, waves, poof, width and height. I am always awed by blond and red hair on men. Amazing.

Sara, my Boogs, has heard me say it a million times, "I want to have a boy with red hair and name him Pepper." "Good luck with that" is the usual response. It's possible.